The Coffs Coast Who's Who
Distinguished and Famous people from The Coffs Coast
Coffs Coast is a region in New South Wales, Australia, located between Sydney and Brisbane. The area is known for its beautiful beaches, charming towns, and vibrant arts and culture scene. Over the years, Coffs Coast has been home to many distinguished and famous people who have left their mark on the region and the world. Below is a list of some of these personalities:
1. Slim Dusty – Born in nearby Kempsey, Slim Dusty is one of Australia's most famous country music singers. He released over 100 albums in his career and is best known for songs like "A Pub With No Beer" and "The Biggest Disappointment".
2. Grant Hackett – Born in Southport, Queensland, Grant Hackett is a retired Olympic swimmer and one of Australia's top distance swimmers. He has won numerous medals, including three golds at the Olympics, and holds several records.
3. Ben Gillies – Ben Gillies is the drummer for the Australian rock band, Silverchair. The band formed in Newcastle in the early 90s and went on to achieve worldwide success with hits like "Tomorrow" and "Straight Lines".
4. Diana Fisher – Diana Fisher is a well-known artist and painter who uses the Coffs Coast as inspiration for many of her works. She has been exhibiting her art in Australia and internationally for over 30 years and her works are held in many private and public collections.
5. Jackie French – Jackie French is an award-winning author of children's and adult novels. She has written more than 140 books and is best known for her novel "Diary of a Wombat", which won the Children’s Book Council of Australia Book of the Year Award.
6. Adam Goodes – Adam Goodes is a former Australian rules football player who played for the Sydney Swans. He is one of the most successful Indigenous Australian footballers of all time, winning two Brownlow medals and leading the Swans to two premierships.
7. Russell Crowe – Although born in New Zealand, Russell Crowe spent much of his early life in and around Coffs Harbour. He is a well-known Hollywood actor who has starred in films like "Gladiator" and "A Beautiful Mind".
8. Lucy Turnbull – Lucy Turnbull is a prominent businesswoman, philanthropist, and former Lord Mayor of Sydney. She has also served as the Chief Commissioner of the Greater Sydney Commission, overseeing the development of the region's infrastructure and growth.
9. Thelma Plum – Thelma Plum is an Indigenous Australian singer-songwriter from the Gamilaraay Nation. She has released two critically acclaimed albums and won several awards for her music, including the National Indigenous Music Award for New Talent in 2013.
10. David Wenham – David Wenham is an actor and filmmaker who has appeared in many Australian and international film and TV productions. He is best known for his roles in "The Lord of the Rings" and "300".
These are just a few of the many distinguished and famous people from the region of Coffs Coast in New South Wales, Australia. Their contributions to the arts, sports, and other fields have not only put the area on the map but also helped to shape its culture and identity.